CARIBBEAN EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
SECONDARY EDUCATION CERTIFICATE
Paper 03/2–General Proficiency
1 2/1 hours
In addition to the 1 1/2 hours candidates are allowed 15 minutes to read through the paper. Writing MAY begin during this time.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- You MUST use this answer booklet when responding to the questions. For EACH question, write your answer in the space indicated and return the answer booklet at the end of the examination.
- Use the CASE to answer the questions.
DO NOT TURN THIS PAGE UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO.
Provision of Secondary Textbooks in Fairview
In the past, secondary school students in Fairview were responsible for purchasing their textbooks. However, many students were unable to purchase books because of the high cost. To ensure that all secondary school students have access to books, the Fairview Education Board is considering providing them with free textbooks using a loan scheme. Under the scheme, students will be supplied with the books for each subject and will be required to return them at the end of the school year.
Before starting this project, the Board decided to find out what parents thought about the loan scheme.
1. Construct THREE questions to be included in a questionnaire to find out what parents think about receiving books from the loan scheme.
The results of the questionnaire circulated by the Fairview Education Board are shown in the bar chart below. The questionnaires were sent to four schools (A, B, C and D). The chart shows the number of parents at each school who would want to be part of the textbook loan scheme (Yes) ad those who do not support it (No). Use the bar chart to answer Questions 2 and 3.
2. (a) How many parents DO NOT support the textbook loan scheme?
(b) A total of 200 parents completed the questionnaires. The bar chart is incomplete. How many parents from Secondary School D support the introduction of the textbook loan scheme?
You are a clerk in the sales department. You have been asked to analyse the results off the questionnaire and inform the Fairview Education Board if it should introduce the textbook loan scheme in schools.
3. Write a short paragraph highlighting the results of the questionnaire at EACH school and state whether the textbook loan scheme should be introduced. Justify your response.
Textbooks for the loan scheme are selected from a range of books supplied by the publishers. The board has decided to start the loan scheme with books for Office Administration and Information Technology. An advertisement will be placed in the local newspaper inviting publishers to submit books, in the two subject areas, which they may want included in the loan scheme. Three copies of each book should be submitted to the Chief Education Officer, Fairview Education Board, University Drive, Fairview, before 30 June 2011.
4. Use the information above to prepare an advertisement to be placed in the local newspaper. Write your advertisement in the space provided below.
5. you are Lisa Reddie, a sales clerk at Best Books Inc. located at 10 Villa close in Fairview. You are submitting copies of the textbook Sure Pass Office Administration to be considered for selection by the Fairview Education Board. Write a cover letter that would accompany the books to be sent to the board. Your letter should include THREE reasons why Sure Pass Office Administration should be included in the textbook loan scheme.
6. A report must be prepared on all books submitted to the Fairview Education Board outlining if they are suitable for the students. Criteria used to determine suitability include whether the book:
- Covers the curriculum
- Promotes problem solving
(a) Suggest an appropriate title for the report.
(b) Outline FOUR other features of the textbook that may encourage students to use it.
- Covers the curriculum (√)
- Promotes problem solving (√)
the Fairview Education Board has decided to include Sure Pass Office Administration in the loan scheme. Three hundred copies of the textbook are needed urgently and must be sent from the main suppliers in London. You were asked to call the London supplier at 3 pm, local time but the call was not answered. The time in London is 5 hours ahead of the time at Fairview.
7. Explain why the call might not have been answered.
8. The supervisor has suggested that you send a letter informing the suppliers that the textbooks are needed urgently. Suggest to the supervisor TWO other methods of communicating with the suppliers giving ONE reason for EACH method.
The order for the books was received and they are to be shipped using Freight Xpress. The books have been packaged for delivery in 20 boxes with a total weight of 250 kg. The shipment is expected the following day.
Use the rates in the table below to answer Question 9.
9. (a) Calculate the shipping and handling costs for the books.
(b) Calculate the TOTAL cost of the shipment.
10. The Board is concerned that the textbooks do not last more than two years because of the manner in which they are treated by the students.
Design a flyer for distribution to students, identifying FOUR ways to care for textbooks.
Total 50 marks