CARIBBEAN EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
SECONDARY EDUCATION CERTIFICATE
Paper 03/2–General Proficiency
1 1/2 hours
Answer ALL the questions.
In addition to the 1 1/2 hours, candidates are advised to spend 15 minutes reading through this paper and planning their responses. Writing MAY begin during this time.
READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
- This paper consists of SIX questions.
- Answer ALL questions.
- Write your answers in the spaces provided in the booklet.
- The use of geometrical instruments is permitted.
- The use of non-programmable calculators is permitted.
DO NOT TURN THIS PAGE UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO.
Answer ALL questions.
You are advised to spend no more than 15 minutes on Question 1.
BECAUSE OF THE DIFFICULTY OF REPRESENTING MAPWORK ONLINE QUESTIONS 1 AND 2 WILL NOT BE REPRESENTED IN THIS PAST PAPER.
3. (a) List SIX types of data which you would record in the field.
(b) Describe how and when you would conduct the research and record the data.
(c) (i) Identify a problem (other than the weather, illness and injury) that you may encounter in conducting the research in 3 (b) above.
(ii) state how you would overcome the problem that you identified in 3 (c) (i) above.
4. Table 1 shows the results of six questions in a survey of 100 people who live within a radius of 300 metres from a cricket stadium. The survey was done to determine whether the stadium is causing a nuisance to the residents in the area when important cricket matches are played.
TABLE 1: RESULTS OF NUISANCE SURVEY OF 100 RESIDENTS WITHIN RADIUS OF 300 METRES OF STADIUM X.
(a) Using the graph paper provided in Figure 2, construct parallel bar graphs to show the results for “Parking”. The axes are already labeled.
(b) Using the data in Table 1, prepare a report on the results of the survey.
5. Table 2 shows the number of bags of waste collected from a beach on two days.
TABLE 2: NUMBER OF MEDIUM-SIZED OF WASTE COLLECTED BY TYPE OF WASTE.
(a) Draw a pie chart to illustrate the data for Day 1.
(b) Name ONE method other than ‘pie chart’ you could have used to illustrate the data.
(c) Write a BRIEF summary of the data presented in Table 2 and comment on the nature of the waste.
6. You have used a text by Jeanette Ottley and Marolyn Gentles in your research. The book was published by Pearson Education Limited of Harlow, England in 2006 and is called Longman Geography for CSEC.
Present this information in an acceptable format of the bibliography for your report.
Total 40 marks
END OF TEST